Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Time for Change


So, I think I'm gonna move to Oregon. I've been considering for a while now, but the last 24 hours seems like its been the only time I've really let it sink into my mind as a possibility. And like many other decisions that I've made in my life, I ultimately have to rely on my instinct.


I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's hard to imagine living my life not following my instincts. Part of me recoils at that thought because instincts are so often attached to the idea of "feelings" and the indiscriminate rule of emotion, which I am loathe to admit could rule any part of my decision making. But I still wonder how much of any choice I make is based on my sentimentality.


In his book Blink, Malcolm Gladwell talks about the ability of our brains to process vast amounts of information and make intuitively correct decisions way above the level of our cognition. This fact is definitely comforting when I think about following my "gut". However, his idea is more about making split-second decisions; it doesn't really have to do with solving long, drawn out quandaries. But even still, I want to be able to trust my intuition based on my mind's ability to "think without thinking.".


At any rate, I have had a surge in my own personal interest in graduate school, and I think its a got to be a good thing. I've always been excited about the idea of higher education, I just got a little side-tracked in the last year and lost my motivation. Or perhaps I was just burnt out on school. In either case, I can't help getting excited at the idea of getting a Master of Arts in English with an Emphasis in Film Studies. I mean, come on, if that doesn't sound right up my alley, then I'm not sure I even have an alley.


So, it looks like I'm Oregon-bound. Wish me luck.


But then again, does anything really matter?

1 comment:

Sara B said...

i think this is so exciting! for both of us, cuz now i'll have a place to stay when i visit oregon right? ;)
that book sounds like i may like it. maybe i could borrow it?